Why a grease fire can be a real stinker
It was just a small grease fire that never got off the kitchen stove. But the odor was overpowering thru ought the entire home.
Even if the fire itself did little or no damage, its the smoke and vapors that could create a lasting problem.
When food items are cooked long enough, the proteins can be released into the escaping smoke and vapor. This creates a sticky film that can get on all surfaces.
This situation is referred to as a “Protein Damage”
The laws of physics can increase the challenge of a small fire. Science teaches that hot air rises and that temperatures will equalize in a confined space.
As any fire burns, it will put off smoke, vapor and gases. All of which will be driven upwards and outwards from the fire itself. That hot air can also carry an amazing amount of protein film with it.
The damaging smoke can travel and will eventually fill the structure completely until finally escaping thru leaks around doors, windows or the attic.
That hot air will continue to move away from the fire source seeking to equalize with the cooler air. Of course, it will carry the smoke, gases and soot with it.
As the hot air cools and loses it’s energy, it will begin to drop those vapors and soot on surfaces
Protein soot can be nearly invisible but very sticky. It can be very difficult to remove and all surfaces must be addressed including the underside and insides of furnishings and other contents.
Professionally restoring a home requires source removal of all soot, grease and other films on all surfaces as a first step. Deodorization of the air space including unseen cracks and crevices must be done as well. Finally, all fabrics including carpets, upholstery and drapery must be thoroughly cleaned.
The professionals at your hometown SERVPRO of Tri-County can assist with restoring your home or business with total cleaning and restoration. Call today for a free consultation and quote. throughout the structure.